2020 Multicultural & Diversity Calendar
The 2020 multicultural and diversity calendar highlights the importance of diversity in the United States.
While there are an incredible number of relevant days celebrating individuals, religion and more, we have compiled a list of those of major importance to U.S. Multicultural communities. From month long celebrations such as Black History Month (February), Hispanic Heritage Month (September 15 -October 15), National American Indian Heritage Month (November) and Asian Pacific American Heritage Month (May) to more specific observances such as Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s Birthday (January 21) or the Lunar New Year (February 5), the U.S. calendar of observances is incredibly diverse.
Whether planning your multicultural marketing campaigns or looking for ways to celebrate your cultural heritage, here are some key dates for 2020 with a particular focus on multicultural / diversity segments in the United States.
- January 20: DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING JR.’S BIRTHDAY The birthday of civil rights activist Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. is celebrated on the third Monday in January.
- January 25: LUNAR NEW YEAR, Also known as the Spring Festival or Chinese New Year. *5 Things to know about Chinese New Year
- February(month): BLACK HISTORY MONTH Celebrates Black History and African American culture
- March 31: CESAR CHAVEZ DAY honors the Mexican American farm worker and celebrates the contributions of labor leader and activist Cesar Chavez.
- April: (month): ARAB AMERICAN HERITAGE MONTH celebrating Arab American heritage, culture and contributions.
- April 23: Native American GATHERING OF NATIONS where over 500 tribes gather for three days to honor their culture
- April 24: First Friday of RAMADAN which is the holiest month of the Muslim year
- May: (month): ASIAN PACIFIC AMERICAN HERITAGE MONTH recognizes the contributions and culture of Asians and Pacific Islanders in the United States.
- May: (month): JEWISH AMERICAN HERITAGE MONTH honors the contributions of American Jews
- May: (month): HAITIAN HERITAGE MONTH is observed in May 2019. Haitian Heritage Month is a celebration in the United States of Haitian heritage and culture. It was first celebrated in Boston, Massachusetts, in 1998.
- May 21: WORLD DAY FOR CULTURAL DIVERSITY is a day that recognizes cultural diversity as a source of innovation, exchange and creativity.
- June 20: WORLD REFUGEE DAY raises awareness about the plight of refugees .
- August 9: INTERNATIONAL DAY OF THE WORLD’S INDIGENOUS PEOPLES celebrating the richness of indigenous cultures as well as recognizing the challenges indigenous peoples face today.
- September 15– October 15 (month): NATIONAL HISPANIC HERITAGE MONTH celebrates the contributions, heritage and culture of Hispanic and Latino Americans.
- September 17: CONSTITUTION DAY AND CITIZENSHIP DAY commemorating the ratification of the United States Constitution in 1787 and also honors all who have become U.S. citizens.
- October (Month): GLOBAL DIVERSITY AWARENESS MONTH increasing awareness and acceptance of diverse cultures
- October 12: INDIGENOUS PEOPLE’S DAY (Native American Day) Celebrates and honors Native American history and culture.
- October 12: DIA DE LA RAZA, “Day of the Race”, in Spanish-speaking countries and communities.
- October 31: DIA DE LOS MUERTOS three day celebration to remember dead relatives and friends.
- November 3, 2020: Presidential Election Day in the United States: Opportunity for multicultural voters to make their voice heard. VOTE
- November (month): NATIONAL AMERICAN INDIAN and ALASKA NATIVE HERITAGE MONTH honoring the history and culture of Native Americans and indigenous people in the United States.
- December 25: CHRISTMAS
- December 26– January 1, 2020: KWANZAA is a celebration honoring African American heritage
While these excerpts relate specifically to ethnicity / cultural background, there is an extremely comprehensive list that includes religious observances as well as public holidays put together by the Anti-Defamation League. For brands & agencies looking to connect with multicultural audiences, Alcance Media Group can assist.